Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Misunderstood Generation

One of the many things about this Th0tful Journey is that it comes with Th0tful blessings.

A couple of weeks ago, I was invited to be a camp leader for 2nd year confirmation class. Little did I know that God was going to open my eyes to the needs and pains of this generation. Now, when I say generation, I don't solely mean this 2nd year confirmation class of 2012, I mean the entire generation of teenagers all over the world.
Come Friday evening, restless and tired they came. In my prayer, I kept asking God to help them open their hearts on this weekend retreat. I saw some who reminded me of myself in high school. Some reminded me of my friends and some of people who I never wanted to have anything to do with. I've lived many retreats and have helped lead many as well but not one with all teens. (Know that when I mention the word teen, I kinda hurt inside because I'm feeling that "you're getting old" punch. Haha!)

 

We had them play a couple of ice-breakers, one where each person had to remove one shoe and throw it in a pile in the middle. Then, everyone had to grab a different shoe, return it to its owner and introduce themselves. Another called "I Love My Neighbor Who..." and lastly, introduce ourselves and say one thing we were proud of. Some answers were short and repetitive such as, "I'm proud of my family" and "parents". Others were more descriptive, "I'm proud of my religion", "of being able to keep straights A's and B's" and "I'm proud of my parents because they have sacrificed a lot for me." The night ended with our parish pastor giving a talk on forgiveness and being open to God's love in one's life.


They first put us in groups, and to be quite honest, (and I know it might be hard to believe for some) I am quite shy when it comes to me trying to get a conversation started with one other person. My group was the Alphabets. What was really interesting to me, and one of the first lessons of the weekend, was one girl in particular did not like the idea of being apart from their friends. She said, "This is gonna be our group for the whole weekend? That's dumb!" Someone else in the group, who has had experience with camps, explained to her the importance of having groups. I had some other choice words of my own in mind but I let the Holy Spirit take control instead. My group was very diverse in personalities and music. Some mentioned they like rock, some techno, and others rap and hip hop. One mentioned she does not like rap at all and I smirked at the comment. My 'confirmation boss' (as I like to call her because I have no other way to explain that she's in charge, hehe.) Maggie, gave a talk on the Holy Spirit's gifts and charisms. Two other leaders gave a talk on "Religion vs. Science" and shared the God vs. Science story. Then there was a quick reflection on the times where we chose to do something or go somewhere else other than confirmation class or Mass on Sunday. I shared a bit of my experiences on how I lived literally half a block away from the parish and for five years, my family and I never attended Mass. And even after we began to, how I chose to go somewhere else and lie about having gone to Mass. That was another lesson in itself, they were more open after I was more honest. Later, there was a talk on forgiveness and letting go and each person was given a heart shaped sticky note and was given a pen to write down two things, who did they need to forgive and why and the other what they needed to forgive themselves about. Then they were to stick the note on a wooden cross. Here was the beginning of lesson three. After everyone was finished and there was a break, I went over to the cross and saw that a lot of them wrote about wanting to forgive their parents, step-parents and themselves. Later on that night, my eyes were to be opened to the needs and pains of this generation.

Night time was quickly approaching and we were getting ready for Mass. We got into four groups: Music, Decoration, Petition, and Readings. Of course, everyone wanted to do decoration and go outside but there was a limited amount of people for each group. I wasn't in the schedule to give any kind of reflection or a talk but Maggie gave me the opportunity to do so before Mass. I began to give my testimony about how I used to be before Christ and how He changed my life (a blog about that in the near future!). Then I asked them to quietly think about what they would like to offer God in thanksgiving during Mass. I also encouraged them to be pious and respectful during Mass and to our surprise, they were totally respectful, quiet and even participated during Mass, which was very different to how they usually behaved during Tuesday Teen Mass.

Then came my second most favorite part of the retreat, prayer circle. Lights were off and only one candle stay lit in front of the "sticky note" cross. I was asked to play the guitar and just play some background music. As I played the guitar, I was praying to the Holy Spirit. Then, one by one, I saw them getting up to say a prayer out loud. Some began to cry after their prayer and some couldn't speak because they were crying. Even those who I believed weren't going to get up but hoped they would got up. Many of them were praying to God asking them for their parent, parents and step-parents. Here was where I began to feel this generation's needs and pains, the second part of the third lesson. I began to see their need of attention, of someone to talk to, of someone to hold them and understand them. Some of these teens are the way they are because of how they grew up with their parents. Some never knew their mother or father, some had step parents and they didn't get along because it wasn't their real parent. Some went up more than once. Around the ending, I went up and said a prayer for them and their generation. That God may hear their prayers and may He help us to attend to their needs and He through us, help heal their pains.

 
 This was at the end.

 After it all, before going to bed, one teen came up to me and asked to speak to me. He mentioned going through a similar situation as the one I went through. He was hanging with friends who don't help him become successful in school but only help to go to parties and do drugs. He asked for advice on how I moved on from those types of friends. I told him that I ignored them and made excuses. Then began to speak the truth, that I was going to Church and being with them didn't help me at all. He said he wanted me to pray for him as he was going to listen to my advice and do the same. Seeing him weeks later, he seems to be doing really well. Christ lives.

The following day, God would be merciful and use me to be a witness of His power.

It was 5:10 am and we were hiking up the hillside towards the top where 3 white crosses were. Through out the way though, I just kept getting this image in my head of my life's journey and seeing so many rocks along the way. I said it to the couple of girls who I was with that these represent the people and temptations in our life that desire to knock us down. And what are we to do? Walk over them. Then finally, we reached the top. Some were there before us by just a couple of minutes. There was about almost 30 of us. 5 leaders and the rest were the teens. I was totally amazed and filled with gratitude.
In that moment, (remember, I'm shy) I wanted to say a prayer and I stepped out of my comfort zone and I told them, let's say a prayer. All of them were anxious to do it. As I led the prayer, at the very beginning, at the mention of the name of Jesus, this soft, gust of wind began to embrace us. (and there wasn't any wind at all, even on the hike up) I heard many gasps and ahh's. After the prayer, many were murmuring about the gust of wind and even shared it as their favorite part of the retreat later in the day.

Before leaving time, the teens played a group game that required every person work together. It was hilarious. And you could see that almost everyone was a different person than the one who had arrived on Friday.
So, I pray that the Lord opens your eyes as He did mine to the needs and pains of not only this group of teens, but to the entire generation. Many of us went through similar situations as children and teenagers. Many of us forget that we relate and only focus on our converted self and act as if we never did go through it. We must show them compassion, support, and also a holy discipline. All they desire is for someone to be honest with them and listen. They don't want a sugar coated truth. They want it raw. This is a call to love because God is love. (1 Jn. 4:8)  This generation we say is lost because it doesn't know God or doesn't desire to know Him, but it is our fault as parents and role models that we don't give them an authentic Christian experience. We desire that they get to know God but they won't know Him if all we do is shove information about the Church into their heads. What they want is for someone to SHOW them Christ and that they may receive Him in their hearts. Let us pray for this generation and future generations. Also, for our adult friends who have never healed from their personal circumstances.

Almighty Father, You know the needs and pains of Your children.
I ask that You help us to see them and tend to them.
That You may be our hands and feet to serve them. 
That through our hearts, You may love them.
Help us also to listen to You through them.
May we love them as You do and serve them as Jesus served His disciples.
I ask You this through the most powerful intercession of our Blessed Mother,
in union with all the saints and angels in Heaven,
in the most holiest name of Your Son, Jesus Christ,
who reigns with You in unity with the Holy Spirit,
One God, forever and ever. Amen.
  
Dei Gratia, Alfonso "Th0t" Pedroza

No comments:

Post a Comment